[Asterisk-Users] Need help with hint and call group

Jordan Bean jordan.bean at webcoretech.com
Mon Oct 10 14:52:28 MST 2005

We have 4 employees and we're running Cisco 7970 phones.  Each phone has
a unique SCCP line configured (in the autologin area of the sccp.conf
file) for each employee.  We have hints set up in the extension.conf
file like the following:

exten => 101,hint,SCCP/101

exten => 102,hint,SCCP/102

exten => 103,hint,SCCP/103

exten => 104,hint,SCCP/104

We have speeddial= lines set up for all other employees to assign the
other employees to softkeys.  All employee lines show up on all phones.

This works fine.  If employee A is on the phone, all other employees see
his line as being in use.

My problem is when we add an auto attendant to the mix.  We want to add
a new line to the phone called "Tech Support" and have that line ring if
someone dials extension 400.  We have lines SCCP/401-404 (configured in
the sccp.conf file on the autologin= line as well) set up to display as
the "Tech Support" line on each phone.  We have the following in
extensions.conf:

exten => 400,1,Dial(SCCP/401&SCCP/402&SCCP/403&SCCP/404,20)

exten => 400,2,Voicemail(u400 at -internal)

exten => 400,3,Hangup

exten => 400,102,Voicemail(b400 at -internal)

exten => 400,103,Hangup

When someone calls extension 400, the "Tech Support" line rings on all
phones.  Great.

Our problem:

We want whoever answers the tech support line to show their personal
line as being in use.

We have tried adding the following (in addition to the other hints), but
it doesn't work:

exten => 401,hint,SCCP/101

exten => 402,hint,SCCP/102

exten => 403,hint,SCCP/103

exten => 404,hint,SCCP/104

Theoretically, when a user picks up the "Tech Support" line, it should
use extension 401, 402, 403, or 404 and therefore show busy next to the
users primary extension (101, 102, 103 or 104).

I don't know if this is an issue with Asterisk (i.e. only allowing one
hint per extension) or with the chan_sccp driver.

Has anyone found a way to make this work?

Jordan Bean

Webcore Technologies, Inc.

toll 800.584.9950

voice 512.320.7071