[Asterisk-Users] Re: www.openpbx.org

Mike M no-linux-support at earthlink.net
Sun Oct 9 10:33:10 MST 2005

On Sat, Oct 08, 2005 at 10:43:28PM -0400, Paul wrote:
> Steve Underwood wrote:
> >>
> >It's not harder. It's just different. A number of things have similar
> >requirements. The ISDN4Linux folk have certain versions of their
> >software approved by the telecoms bodies in Europe. They need to tie
> >down exactly what was approved, so any other versions emit a notice
> >that says they are unapproved versions. They do this with a signature
> >on the approved version. It seems to work out OK.

>From the ISDN4Linux FAQs:

"Actually, since April 2000 the rules for certification have changed. Now
the producer of an ISDN card has to do only hardware tests, the driver
is not part of the certification anymore. This applies to the whole
European Community."

http://www.isdn4linux.de/faq/i4lfaq-25.html

If this is true then perhaps the ruling telecoms have improved their
protocol violation defenses and dispensed with the certification
process. This would be a Good Thing (tm).

> I think that the important thing to remember is that a good reverse
> engineer can take the object code from a rom and produce source files
> that are better commented than the original source ever was.

Reversers are mundane scribes and relics. Their services were valued in the past
when software was expensive and poor quality. Free and competitively valued
software has devalued their efforts.  Besides, it's hard to build a community
or support organization around stolen merchandise. Further evidence of
their insignificance is the lack of coverage by the media.

--
Mike