[Asterisk-Users] Re: www.openpbx.org

Paul digium-list at 9ux.com
Sat Oct 8 19:43:28 MST 2005

Steve Underwood wrote:

> Steve Kennedy wrote:

>>> Search a bit about "security by obscurity". Basically if the
>>> security of
>>> your system depends on a secret you can't easily change, it will get
>>> exposed sooner or later. So you should design it to withstand such
>>> leakage. E.g: change a password if it was exposed.
>>>

>> As this was related to Mastercard/Visa, they can allow open source,
>> however the software has to be certified to meet their security specs,
>> which may be harder to accomplish for open source.
>>

> It's not harder. It's just different. A number of things have similar
> requirements. The ISDN4Linux folk have certain versions of their
> software approved by the telecoms bodies in Europe. They need to tie
> down exactly what was approved, so any other versions emit a notice
> that says they are unapproved versions. They do this with a signature
> on the approved version. It seems to work out OK.
>
> Regards,
> Steve

I think that the important thing to remember is that a good reverse
engineer can take the object code from a rom and produce source files
that are better commented than the original source ever was. I close my
source because it's mine and it's none of your business but I don't get
a false sense of security from doing that. There are people who
specialize in taking gate array chips apart in a very careful manner in
order to get the programmed logic  patterns using a microscope. If I can
buy/build a good enough logic analyzer I can get what I need without
even powering down your product. So consider that if I can clone your
electronic key device, disassembling the binaries for your closed source
software is a minor obstacle.