[Asterisk-Users] Re: www.openpbx.org

asterisk asterisk at totarotechnologies.com
Mon Oct 10 09:15:40 MST 2005

> Tony Mountifield wrote:
> > Yes, it looks like the main people behind it are bkw, anthm and moc.
> > They will be a great loss to the Asterisk community if they go off and
> > only do their own thing.
>
> I'm not sure I agree with that.  If your friend stabs you in the back, is
it
> really a great loss if they subsequently leave?
>
> --
> Cheers,
>
> Matt Riddell

I dont see how any backstabbing was done.  Over the past two years I have
seen this coming.

First with the dual licensing, many people over the years brought up what
implications this may have in the future.  Many people said that if Digium
went to a closed source distribution based on code that the project would
fork.  Other people worked on it, generally thinking it would just be used
under the GPL, not really thinking about ABE.  With the ABE version that a
fork was called for.

The other thing that I think many are missing is the recent deal with Intel
and finally I remember that the Digium backed Asterisk Certification was
unfair and pricy since many guru developers would still need to take the
exam to become certified just to line a few people's pocket even thought
they probably know more than the people teaching the cert course.

When I first stumbled accross asterisk, I predicted all of this over two
years ago.

"The (civic) republican theory of the Second Amendment holds that the
citizenry's right to bear arms is necessary to prevent tyrannical
governments from abridging liberty."

Instead of guns, we have the GPL and the ability to fork.

I am neutral and I can see both sides of the arguement.  I think a fork is a
great idea and anyone that says, "it will fail" and threaten legal
involvment does not really think it will fail but will do whatever they can
to make it fail.

Thanks,
Steve

PS.  I think that the openpbx.org crew should show some class and not post
to this list anymore.  Create your own list.  Make sure that google results
for asterisk turn up openpbx.org and even recruit people by sending direct
emails to he desired talent pool.