[Asterisk-Users] gsm audio files

Stephen Bosch posting at vodacomm.ca
Thu Oct 6 10:33:33 MST 2005

adriano ghezzi wrote:
> Hi to all I have configured an asterisk as auto-answer machine on
> analog line, can't get a good quality for answer message I tried with
> .gsm files in the asterisk package and tried to convert mp3 files with
> sox
>
> do you know where I can get high quality files to test my installation ?

Because gsm compression is highly lossy your files are only going to get
worse the more you convert them.

You have to create files from scratch, wav format, sample rate 8 kHz, 16
bits. You will have to do some filtering and processing to get it to
sound good.

I agree that the gsm files don't make a good audience impression.

-Stephen-