[Asterisk-Users] ADSI -- is it dead? Worth bothering with?

Don Pobanz asterisk at hastingsutilities.com
Wed Oct 5 06:14:50 MST 2005

Stephen Bosch wrote:
> Since Colin Anderson -- in a previous thread -- asked the question about
> whether ADSI was dead, I thought it was worth discussing.
>

> Does anybody else have anything to add?
>
> -Stephen-

I hope ADSI is not dead! We have 100 Aastra 390 ADSI phones with 20 of
them in service.

We have locations where the infrastructure will not support packet based
phones, even if we wanted to use them, yet we would like to give people
some menus to lesson the learning curve.

Having a menu that changes based on context is great. I really like the
voice mail menu where you do not need to remember any of the keys to
press but just read the item and press the button by your selection. The
only problem is the length of time it takes to load the menu. I believe
there is really no need to load the stuff every time voicemail is
dialed. The local phone company offers ADSI service. They have a number
to dial to program the ADSI menus. This number only needs to be dialed
once. After that things are pretty snappy.

I will soon start work on converting the rest of our company to
primarily ADSI phones.

Don Pobanz