[Asterisk-Users] Weird Problem - SIP/POLYCOM/DTMF

Matthew Gibson m.gibson at voxip.ca
Mon Oct 3 22:25:47 MST 2005

Hi All,

I've been having a weird issue with one of my servers and it's Asterisk
installation.

The server is running Slackware, and Kernel 2.6.12. I'm running the
latest CVS-HEAD
edition of *. I also have 4 other asterisk servers with the same
software configuration,
but different hardware and they have no issues like this.

I have one block of users behind a PF firewall at the office. This
office asterisk server is connected
to the "Master" server which has the T1 at one of our other locations.
All of the phones (Polycom IP500)
are using G729 default and allow Ulaw/Alaw to connect to the Master
Server, and the remote users are also registerd to the office server
using Ulaw/Alaw.  Dtmfmode has been verified that it's rfc2833 for g729
and inband
for the ulaw registrations.

The users at work do not seem to be affected by this problem, only users
on home networks
not sure if that plays a part or not. It was verified that the channels
were indeed all using
G729 and set to rfc2833 while making the calls to the Master Server. The
issue is that once in
a while the phones will stop being able check voicemail because the
server receives doubled,
tripled, quadruled or more digits from the user checking the voicemail
box. Voicemail still works
on same phone not using G729 registered to office server.

I verified that setting relaxdtmf in sip.conf to yes or no and it does
not seem to make a difference,
nor does stopping/starting asterisk or unloading zapata drivers and
reinserting then starting
asterisk again. I also tinkered with rxgain and txgain to no avail.

The only way I have been able to fix the issue is to reboot the server.
I also noticed that if
I reboot the server, and check voicemail it works fine, but if I stop
asterisk and then start
it again I once again have the same issue and it seems to only be fixed
if I reboot again.

Anyone have any ideas?

Matt Gibson