[Asterisk-Users] TDM400P recognised as "Network controller: Unknown device"

Aryanto Rachmad aryanto.rachmad at chello.at
Mon Oct 3 14:42:33 MST 2005

Hello everybody,

I have been googling for hours and also searched on http://www.voip-info.org/wiki-Asterisk, but I still can not find any information for the problem I have. So I hope one of you could help me out.

I have actually very little experience in Asterisk and also Linux. But by following installation guide, luckily I could get asterisk working. That is only with SIP and IAX channels though, no zaptel installed. As I wanted to explore more, I bought a TDM400P development kit (TDM11B) from an authorised Asterisk reseller in Germany. After I updated my Asterisk (make update) and installed zaptel last week (27 Sep 2005), here is what I got:

# lspci -v
01:05.0 Network controller: Unknown device e159:0001
        Subsystem: Unknown device b119:0001
        I/O ports at 2400 [size=256]
        Memory at efffe000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4K]

# dmesg
Module 0: Installed -- AUTO FXS/DPO
Module 1: Not installed
Module 2: Not installed
Module 3: Installed -- AUTO FXO (FCC mode)
Found a Wildcard TDM: Wildcard TDM400P REV I (2 modules)

Both LEDs of the FXO and FXS modules are illuminated. I guess that is a normal state.

Is the status of "Unknown device" a normal status?

>From what you have experienced, is there any issue with revision I? I know that there are problems on the cards with revision E or F, so I don't want to waste my time trying to configure the card, which maybe in the end I have to return the card to be replaced as well.

Do you think this is just an issue of the driver (zaptel) or something else? Do you have any hints on what should be changed or modified?

I sent an email to Digium support and got only a reply like this:

"Although the card is being shown as an 'Unknown Device', it should still work properly."

To be honest, I am not happy with that answer.

FYI, I have installed Asterisk (CVS HEAD - 27 Sep 2005) on IBM xSeries 330 (8654-51Y) running Fedora Core 4 (kernel 2.6.12-1).

Thanks in advance for your answers.

Kind regards,

Anto
----