[Asterisk-Users] setting up asterisk as an sms central?

Emanuele Pucciarelli ep at acm.org
Mon Oct 3 14:41:59 MST 2005

Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk ha scritto:
> hi
>
> is it possible to use asterisk as an sms central to send SMSes  directly
> to clients on PSTN instead of just communicating with a  central? the
> telco to which we're currently connected doesn't have a  central....

Yes, as far as you can spoof the Caller ID ;)

The trick is that PSTN clients decide whether an incoming call is a SMS
or not *before* answering, by looking at the Caller ID, and they are
usually pre-programmed with the SMSC's phone number.  (At least, that's
valid for the SMS-capable analog cordless phones I've seen till now.)
So, that's going to be a problem, unless your telco is willing to help
you at least in that respect, and let you send a valid SMSC's phone
number as caller ID.

(Of course I haven't tried this across the public network, but I'd be
ready to bet one or even two beers that it works!)

Bye,

--
Emanuele