[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk on windows

Paul digium-list at 9ux.com
Mon Oct 3 14:27:06 MST 2005

Christopher Dobbs wrote:

> Matt wrote:
>
>> Extremely good point... I myself am a Linux person, but manage several
>> Windows machines (several meaning 25 or so).   There is definately a
>> time and place for Windows.. I'm just not sure a real-time-VoIP server
>> is the time or place.    Being semi-half serious about the GUI there
>> also.    You install X on your Asterisk server and things will not be
>> happy either.
>>

> I Run SuSE 9.3 with KDE 3.4, Asterisk 1.0.3, play MP3's and OGG's,
> SAMBA services, HTTPD, VNC, MicroWindows, FTP, SMTP, POP, IMAP, plus
> others.
> I dont see that the GUI slows things down to much, unless I am running
> a test and gring the call volume over 500 active calls. (I am
> developing a new channel driver for * ment for inclusion in mobile
> phones, think Asterisk+Cell Phone).  The assertion that a GUI will
> bring a system to it's knee's is utter CRAP!  It all has to do whith
> what the system is doing besides, and what the hardware can handle.
> BTW: the system this all is running on is an AMD 1700+, and the same
> system that I am using to brows the mailing list.

Agreed. The gui is only one part of the windows performance problem.
Also, there are differences between XP home, XP Pro and the windows
server products. Anybody porting a real-time app to windows should
understand those differences in advance.

As for X on the same box as *, it only seems to affect calls when I do
something that uses enough cpu. I can be logged in with a gnome or kde
desktop without causing problems. It's a P4 2.4 with 1 gb DDR 333.