[Asterisk-Users] Fw: Channel Banks, what are they for?

Andrew Kohlsmith akohlsmith-asterisk at benshaw.com
Sun Oct 2 06:31:38 MST 2005

On Sunday 02 October 2005 09:09, Mojo Jojo wrote:
> > Can someone explain to me what a channel bank is used for?
> >
> > For example, if I had a 24 channel PRI setup with an Asterisk box
> > attached to it via a TE110P, how would a channel bank make my life
> > better?
> >
> > Anyhow, I just have not clue and thought someone could tell me the
> > purpose of these devices.

A channel bank is a device used to aggregate (or break apart) individual FXS
and FXO ports to/from a T1 connection.

Basically, channel banks save time, energy, space and wiring mess.  They also
often give higher FXO/FXS interface quality as well.  They cost a little more
but IMO if you take everything into account they are by far cheaper in the
long run.

Anyway as mentioned channel banks are an easy/cheaper way to aggregate lines.
Instead of having 24 Sipura boxes or 6 TDM400P cards and all the wiring mess
that goes with it, you have a single T1 card and a single cable going to a
single channel bank, which will have a single D50 connector that you can
terminate directly to a single BIX punchdown strip.

Channel banks are also typically (much) higher quality than the cards or
low-density ATAs you can buy.  I am particuarly fond of Carrier Access
Adit600s.

-A.