[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk on windows

Dan Austin Dan_Austin at Phoenix.com
Sun Oct 2 03:19:39 MST 2005

On Sun, 2005-10-02 at 10:21 +0100, Wayne wrote:
>> Hiyall,
>> been following this for a while, just thought I would add a bit to
the
>> debate, but doesn't the Cisco system (Call Manager?) run on an
Windows
>> 2000 based server - if it was that bad why would Cisco choose to run
it?

> Politics and cluelessness. There are rumours that Cisco's next CCM
will
> run Linux. Cisco also used Win2000 on their BBSM product. An amazing
> piece of crap according to those who had to install it and maintain
it.
> You had to reboot the thing over and over. Sounds familiar?

Cisco actually aqcuired the product that was to become CCM from
Selsius.  It was already written for and running on Windwows.
Pretty standard business fare.  Buy a product line, rebrand it,
make money, maybe make it better over time.  Even with what I
think most of us recognize the technical issues, it has been
a lucrative product for Cisco

>> Also 3Com use NT/2000 to run the H323 gateway. Admittedly the call
>> processor runs on VXWorks but to cross the boundary of proprietary
3com
>> and rest of world - they jump onto windows.

> VWWorks is as stable as it gets compared to M$. At least they had the
> brains to put the important part on a Unix like OS. About the M$ part,
> well, it's silly decisions like that that contribute to 3Com's fading
> away.

> Regards,
> Patrick

Dan