Asterisk + 99.999s was (Re: [Asterisk-Users] Asterisk on windows)

Julio Arruda jarruda-asterisk at jarruda.com
Sat Oct 1 14:27:00 MST 2005

Patrick wrote:
> On Sat, 2005-10-01 at 08:31 -0400, Julio Arruda wrote:
> [snip]
>
>>One thing interesting, coming from data background, seeing the
>>requirements in carrier voice networks. Is a quite distinct ball-game.
>>Devices that require 'hot-software-upgrades', still not that often seen
>>in data. How is this being handled with Asterisk + other solutions ?
>>Example, having a trunk gateway with a OC3 worth of TDM, is 'acceptable'
>>that a sw upgrade will cut established calls ?
>

> Iirc Motorola has a solution that allows in-operation linux kernel
> upgrades. No idea how they pulled that magic off (and if it actually
> works). At VON IBM was going to demo a blade based Asterisk solution
> that has auto-failover of calls so maybe that could also be used to
> upgrade software. Don't have more info about this IBM solution. If you
> have a DS3 or OC3 worth of TDM calls then it probably makes sense to use
> a carrier-class box.

Weird as it seems, not sure if the softswitch itself is the problem.
Example, you could have a media gateway where the established calls are
not torn down during a software upgrade of the Media Gateway controller
'entity'.
The hardest part is the media gateway failover, I'm only familiar with
Nortel (I work in Nortel) MG, and they in some cases would do these with
APS and 1:1 sparing of the cards, where the sw migration is a 'hitless
process', I assume others have similar options, but again, is not
exactly 'in the asterisk' only, is in more than that, is in the 'solution'.