Asterisk + 99.999s was (Re: [Asterisk-Users] Asterisk on windows)

Julio Arruda jarruda-asterisk at jarruda.com
Sat Oct 1 05:31:55 MST 2005

Patrick wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-09-28 at 23:17 +0800, Steve Underwood wrote:
> [snip]
>
>>An effective DOS attack on a $300,000 Alpha running NT I used to use was
>>"wiggle the mouse" :-) I never really understood how that brought a
>>multi-CPU machine to a standstill, but it did.
>

> Reminds me of an Internet Call Diversion pilot WorldCom did back in 2000
> where Alcatel & some M$ drones brought in 2 very big Alpha servers
> running NT. These boxes needed to be rebooted multiple times. They were
> surprised WCOM felt having to reboot these boxes all the time was
> unacceptable in an environment requiring 5nines availability. Never
> laughed so hard when I saw the incredulous faces of the M$ drones. We
> brought in a Stratus based solution and won the project.

Alcatel folks where not surprised, I'm sure ;-)
One thing interesting, coming from data background, seeing the
requirements in carrier voice networks. Is a quite distinct ball-game.
Devices that require 'hot-software-upgrades', still not that often seen
in data. How is this being handled with Asterisk + other solutions ?
Example, having a trunk gateway with a OC3 worth of TDM, is 'acceptable'
that a sw upgrade will cut established calls ?