[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk and RTP streams (just bumping)

Rich Adamson radamson at routers.com
Sat Oct 1 06:20:56 MST 2005

Just as a FYI, the rtp port that is used for any device (asterisk or a
sip adapter) is choosen "by the device". If a sip adapter as an example
attempts to initiate an rtp session, changing asterisk won't have any
impact.

Or, saying this a little different, asterisk can initiate an rtp session
using an rtp/udp port from within the range specified in rtp.conf, but
the other end of that rtp session (sip adapter) gets to pick its own
udp port for the return data. The udp port selected is often times
picked from a range that you have control over, but in all cases that
I can think of, you can't tell the device to always pick a single
predetermined udp port.

So, unless I've really missed the point in the discussion below, I don't
believe the proposed port selection changes can be accomplished.