[Asterisk-Users] How does DTMF get sent over a PRI in Asterisk

James Sizemore james at deny.org
Mon Nov 28 09:27:36 MST 2005

I am trying to trouble shoot some problems with DTMF over PRI. I have a
digium wct1xxp card and these lines in extensions.conf:

exten => 5556000,1,Record(testtone:gsm)
exten => 5556000,2,Wait(2)
exten => 5556000,3,Playback(testtone)

I called in over the PSTN --to-->  Asterisk. I did a "pri debug", from
asterisk 1.2.0 console and a few debug lines came up when the call
connects (but not all the q931 message that should have been there). But
nothing came up when hitting the dtmf keys. Also when I listen to the
play back the recorded tones are little more then chirps not long enough
for a human ear to distinguish tone.

My two question are how does DTMF get send over a PRI (inband? q931
message?) and how would I go about seeing the duration that was sent to
me so that I know weather the problem is Asterisk or my telcos!