[Asterisk-Users] sound problem, please help!

Rusty Dekema rdekema at gmail.com
Mon Nov 28 08:48:42 MST 2005

Hi,

I have noticed that most mobile phones (GSM and CDMA at least) seem to have
a tendency to interrupt the incoming audio stream when the microphone levels
get louder than a certain threshold (such as when you are speaking into it).
I do not know exactly why this happens, nor whether it is something that
happens in the handset (the handset mutes the incoming audio, which doesn't
make much sense) or in the network (maybe to try to save bandwidth?).

Also, the GSM codec is intended to intelligibly encode human speech, not
general audio signals such as music. GSM uses approximately 6-8 times less
bandwidth than G.711u/a, and the degradation in the quality of music and
other non-speech signals is one of the tradeoffs that we make in order to
not have the cost of mobile calls increase 6-8 times over.

Maybe if Europe was as backward with its mobile systems as the United States
currently is, you could try to get your users to call your system from
analog mobile phones... They don't use digital compression (by definition, I
suppose) and would probably work much better for your specific application
;).

-Rusty