[Asterisk-Users] Would DECT cordless phones work with Asterisk and VOIP?

Francesco Peeters Francesco at FamPeeters.com
Sun Nov 27 01:11:46 MST 2005

On Sun, November 27, 2005 1:46, Larry Alkoff said:
> I've just heard about DECT which is used for about 50 million phones in
> Europe and is just starting to appear in the US.
>
> DECT stands for Digitally Enhanced Cordless Telephone
> and supposedly has much greater range than other cordless telephony.
> Additionally, you can purchase repeaters that will greatly range.
>
> Since reading about poor audio quality and echo issues caused by
> repeated conversions as the signal traverses the path from the (possibly
> POTS analogue) station, over tcp/ip and to destination,
> would DECT (another digital form) agravate this?
>
> In my house, a Uniden 5.8 and Panasonic 2.4 cordless system would only
> work over about 35 feet indoors - not enough for a large house.
>
> Does anyone have any hands-on experience with DECT?
>
> Larry

I have a Siemens Gigaset 4030 DECT station at home. It is an ISDN
deskphone with built-in DECT access point. I have finally got 2 HFC-PCI
cards running simultaneously in TE and NT mode, and will be connecting the
4030 to the NT mode HFC-PCI card soon. (I'd like to do it today, but my
MIL has 'invited' us for ST.Nicholas (Dutch fest, usually on 5 Dec, with
lots of children's gifts, similar to Xmas Eve in USA) today!)

As soon as I have some test-experience with the setup I will:
- Let the list know (both this thread and the '2 hfc-pci cards do not
work' thread)
- Write an extensive wiki article on the setup for others to learn from...
 ;-)

Cheers

--
Francesco Peeters