[Asterisk-Users] Would DECT cordless phones work with Asterisk andVOIP?

Chris Bagnall asterisk at minotaur.cc
Sat Nov 26 18:35:15 MST 2005

> I've just heard about DECT which is used for about 50 million
> phones in Europe and is just starting to appear in the US.

I didn't realise they'd not been around in the US for long. I've had DECT
phones for at least 5 years now...

> In my house, a Uniden 5.8 and Panasonic 2.4 cordless system
> would only work over about 35 feet indoors - not enough for a
> large house.
> Does anyone have any hands-on experience with DECT?

They work fine, and over quite a substantial range provided you haven't got
an old cottage with 2ft thick walls and lead piping running around the
place. When I was living in Exeter I found that I could take the DECT phone
about 100 yards down the road to the Chinese takeaway with me and it'd still
be able to pick up calls.

To asterisk: I've got 2 DECT phones at home currently on Grandstream HT-488
and Sipura SPA-3000 ATAs respectively, both of which work fine. You might
need to play with the settings on your ATA to get the recall function
working properly, but apart from that they seem fine. I have not tried them
with a TDM400's FXS port.

Regards,

Chris