[Asterisk-Users] configure intel modems.....

Phil Pritchard phil at pritchard.asn.au
Sat Nov 26 07:05:49 MST 2005

Thanks Mark,

phone system is a panasonic 1232 digital hi-bread thingy.... im fairly
privy to it and can reprogram etc. and with that, should be able to go
ether way,
- i thought that i could hang asterisk of one of the analog extensions
with a voice modem.
- the other way would be to hang it on an incoming line or CO.
the later probably being the better solution. ether way i should be able
to connect both ways???
ie. from a land line extension would be able to ring the extension that
asterisk is on and make asterisk call over voip.
or with a soft phone from lappy with wireless be able to go through
asterisk to make land line calls.

the old dell machine is a poweredge 2300, all scsi and 2x P2 350
processors. a nice old high end server( in its day! )

im using the asterisk at home 1.3 and ill have to check(machine not on at
the moment)
but you may have something with the kernel configuring the modem, i seem
to remember the config page during one of the startups..
not sure, (but now that you have said that..... i can feel something in
my water.)
maybe some body out there knows weather asterisk at home does configure
modems or serial devices during startup??..

i have checked the interrupts when i was having trouble with the 2
modems installed, and its all cool.( and that answers prev. Question. )

im not that tight, just at the moment things are not to plan, wife just
spat 34week prem boy
and 2 trips to the hospital and back each day, and back to 1 income
makes it hard, is all....

i heard a whisper that the digium cards were actually voice modems( so i
though it should not be that hard ),
and when i looked at the pics they look exactly the same.
pics are not good enough to pick components though...

im not that new to Linux, have been system admin of more than 50
machines ( mixed win/lin) for a few years now,
i have come to love Linux and dread windows....
and windows seems to be getting worse, trying to keep up or ahead of
Linux (depends who you talk to..)

asterisk is an excellent piece of software and deserves more attention.

thanks again Mark for your guidance, help.....i was scratching my head
with this one....

any advice you have is much appreciated....

i will check to see if the modem has been configured by the kernel, this
will explain why asterisk cannot see the card.

thanks again Mark..... excellent!!!

Phil