[Asterisk-Users] Re: manager interface behavior

Bill Michaelson bill at cosi.com
Wed Nov 23 15:09:04 MST 2005

snacktime wrote:

On 11/23/05, Bill Michaelson <bill at cosi.com> wrote:

>> I'm working on a manager client that I designed to hold open TCP
>> connection to asterisk while it is running for varoius purposes.  After
>> being puzzled by unexpected behavior, I realized that the server closes
>> the connection after it completes an "originate" action - or at least it
>> does in the case of my test transactions.
>>
>> I solicit opinions: is this a feature or a bug?

I've never seen that behavior and I've written several clients for the
manager api.  I guess it's possible that a particular combination of
variables in the request could trigger an error that makes asterisk do
that.   I would try issuing the same originate by telneting in
manually and see what happens.  That way you can positively rule out
your client being the one that's disconnecting.

to which I reply:

That's the first thing I did, and it confirmed the behavior (see
below).  To be precise, the disconnect occurs after the Newchannel
report.  So I infer that you think it is inappropriate.  I've recoded
the client so that it immediately reconnects.  Anybody actually tried
this?  I can imagine that the developer might have assumed that such a
request would likely come from a transient client, and that it would be
helpful to terminate the connection.  But if so, I don't think it's the
right decision.  Maybe it's just an oversight.  Any other opinions?  I'm
too lazy to read the server side code.

bill at phex:~> telnet hack.cosi.com 5038
Trying 192.168.10.26...
Connected to hack.cosi.com.
Escape character is '^]'.
Asterisk Call Manager/1.0