[Asterisk-Users] I need suggestions for on equipment

hugolivude hugolivude at gmail.com
Tue Nov 22 11:03:55 MST 2005

My experience has been to avoid trying to support anlogue phones
altogether - not worth the trouble.  Things here got much better when
we abandoned anlogue and went purely with SIP phones.

The Grandstream 100s weren't that good (poor sound quality), but we
have been mighty impressed with the Polycom Soundpoint 501s.  I got a
301 as well, but it doesn't provide power over Ethernet so it's not as
good for our purposes.  You'll definitely want to reference
http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/index.php?page=Polycom+Soundpoint+IP+501
when configuring.

Obviously you'll aslo want a router that supports QoS.  We're using
Sveasoft in a Linksys WRT54G and it works well.  You need to be
careful when buying the Linksys because version 5.0 saw a move from
Linux, which runs Sveasoft's Talisman firmware, to VxWorks, which does
not.  You can tell the version from the s/n:

CDF0 = WRT54G v1.0
CDF1 = WRT54G v1.0
CDF2 = WRT54G v1.1
CDF3 = WRT54G v1.1
CDF5 = WRT54G v2.0
CDF7 = WRT54G v2.2
CDF8 = WRT54G v3.0
CDF9 = WRT54G v3.1
CDFA = WRT54G v4.0
CDFB = WRT54G v5.0 (runs VxWorks, not Linux)

CGN0 = WRT54GS v1.0
CGN1 = WRT54GS v1.0
CGN2 = WRT54GS v1.1
CGN3 = WRT54GS v2.0