[Asterisk-Users] Problems with fax failing when bridged across TDM400Pvers E

Lee Howard faxguy at howardsilvan.com
Tue Nov 22 09:18:03 MST 2005

Andrew Kohlsmith wrote:

>Faxes are designed to work around the noise and other signal problems inherent
>in analog telephony.  VOIP introduces an entirely different set of noise
>factors that fax machines are frankly ill-equipped to deal with.  Jitter and
>dropped packets are the biggest of these issues.

Jitter and dropped packets usually translate into either periods of
silence (and I believe that this is more common) or periods of
synthesized audio.  The latter will mean in corrupted data and the
former will often result in a premature carrier drop detection.

If a receiver prematurely detects a carrier drop in Phase C fax image
data then it *must* wait around up to perhaps 60 seconds for the sender
signals to return.  Many fax machines (and more particularly fax
programs) are not this tolerant.

Lee.