[Asterisk-Users] Master Telephone

Johnathan Falk jdfalk at internet2.edu
Tue Nov 22 08:22:08 MST 2005

I am the network administrator for a small school in Michigan.  We are
currently using an older proprietary pbx system and are trying very hard to
get away from this one vender lock in. I have set up an asterisk server
using the version 1.2 of asterisk.  Our current system has a master
telephone used by the head secretary that can transfer anyone's calls and
just generally handle all phone redirection.  Kind of like a head
receptionist.  The one rule we have about our telephone system is that
during school hours a person must answer.  Our superintendent refuses to
have a machine answer if there are people working.  So the head secretary
must either redirect the calls to someone who is there or take the call
herself.  How can we accomplish this with asterisk? Also if it can't be
accomplished through programming what special hardware would we be required
to purchase.

Johnathan Falk
Network Administrator

Clinton Community Schools