[Asterisk-Users] IAX DID Incoming/Outgoing

Kevin Bockman asterisk at wunderkin.com
Mon Nov 21 16:08:22 MST 2005

Erik Ginorio wrote:
  > Now I want to get a DID where someone can call it, have the call
sent to
> my Asterisk system via IAX2, and from there have my Asterisk system
> route it to the softphone extension that I've got set up. What's the
> best way to do this? IAX trunking or just setting up the terminating
> provider as a "friend" as I have it now?
IAX trunking only combines multiple IAX calls together.  The other end has
to have trunking setup also.  That's not going to happen by default.

> My current IAX provider for outgoing calls doesn't provide incoming IAX
> service, so I'm open to switching if I need to. I'm not 100% what this
> type of service is called either, so if someone could help me out with
> the correct terminology I'd be greateful to.
It doesn't really matter if you have incoming and outgoing through the
same provider or not.  It is best that you have multiple providers for
outgoing.  You just need a DID via SIP or IAX.

Kevin