[Asterisk-Users] IAX DID Incoming/Outgoing

Erik Ginorio bronc at soxisit.com
Mon Nov 21 15:51:11 MST 2005

Hello all,

 After attending Astricon I've ventured into the wonderful world of Asterisk
and am setting up an internal Asterisk system for our office. What I'd like
to do initally is get a DID that we can use for incoming and outgoing calls,
but since we don't have any cards to accept phone lines yet, I wanted to do
it over IAX2.

 Right now I've got an Asterisk system running that accepts conenctions from
softphones running on a couple of desktop systems. From there I have it set
up to send our calls via IAX2 to Gafachi, which then hits the phone system.
This part works fine, and I'm able to call out with our softphones to anyone
else.

 Now I want to get a DID where someone can call it, have the call sent to my
Asterisk system via IAX2, and from there have my Asterisk system route it to
the softphone extension that I've got set up. What's the best way to do
this? IAX trunking or just setting up the terminating provider as a "friend"
as I have it now?

 My current IAX provider for outgoing calls doesn't provide incoming IAX
service, so I'm open to switching if I need to. I'm not 100% what this type
of service is called either, so if someone could help me out with the
correct terminology I'd be greateful to.

Thanks!

- Erik