[Asterisk-Users] Can Asterisk Set CallerID on Broadvoice?

Paul digium-list at 9ux.com
Sun Nov 20 07:16:37 MST 2005

Rusty Dekema wrote:

> Hey,
>
> Has anybody been able to get Broadvoice to pass the callerid string
> that Asterisk feeds it to the PSTN? If not, can anyone recommend a
> provider with a similar pricing structure (monthly fee for
> more-or-less unlimited termination to USA and 20-30 other countries)
> that will pass callerid (preferably IAX but SIP is fine)?
>
> I have found a provider that can provide reliable DIDs and reliable
> DTMF detection via rfc2833, but I am not that happy with their
> outgoing pricing structure. So, I would like to have this carrier
> originate all calls to my DIDs, while sending calls from within my
> system out via whatever SIP or IAX trunk I choose, using one of my DID
> numbers as the callerid value.
>
> Thanks,
> Rusty

Rusty,

Use a few of the paid IAX termination providers so you have failover if
one is down. That way you can set caller ID and not worry about your
"unlimited" account being closed or extra charges being billed.

Retail accounts like broadvoice offers come with a few "gotchas":

1) Business use of residential account is prohibited

2) No resale. If you have customers they need to put the account in
their name and pay directly.

3) Opening multiple channels(typically more than 2) at a time will
result in extra charges. In many cases that might be 3.9c/minute billed
in full minutes and rounded up to nearest cent. So if you have 2
channels in use and an incoming caller simply hangs up when he hears the
first auto-attendant prompt, it costs you 4c.

I have accounts with 4 IAX termination providers that accept paypal.
Some of them offer 0.25 credit so you can test. I started each with a $5
prepay via paypal. So $20 is not much to spend in order to have 4
different termination providers.