[Asterisk-Users] simple setup

Gregory Seidman gsslist+asterisk at anthropohedron.net
Sun Nov 20 06:35:42 MST 2005

On Sat, Nov 19, 2005 at 07:20:06PM -0500, Tom Rymes wrote:
} On Nov 19, 2005, at 2:50 PM, Gregory Seidman wrote:
[...]
} >1) what ports to forward on the router to the Asterisk machine
}
} For SIP: 5060 & 10000-20000
} For IAX: 4569
} (This assumes that you haven't changed the defaults in sip.conf/
} iax.conf)

If I understand correctly, I only need IAX on the LAN since I am using a
SIP provider. Are those UDP or TCP or both?

} >2) how to configure the IAXy (it came with no documentation)
}
} As with almost everything Asterisk, the documentation can be found at
} voip-info.org, asteriskdocs.org, google, etc. ;-)
}
} >3) and how to configure the IAXy extension for Asterisk
}
} See above.

Mm, I was hoping for a more direct URL. I'll dig around some more, though.

} >I have already configured Asterisk according to BroadVoice's
} >instructions for the most part, but I wasn't sure what to do about the
} >extension  so my register line reads:
} >
} >register => <10-digit phone number>:<10-character passcode>@sip.broadvoice.com
}
} I may be wrong here, but if you leave out the extension, the calls
} will be directed to the s extension in whichever context you specify
} for incoming calls. Can anyone verify that?
}
} [snip]
}
} >P.S. Please don't tell me about how much better 1.2.x is than 1.0.x
} >     and how I should upgrade. I'll get there, but it is not my first
} >     step. My first step is is getting a working line to make my wife
} >     happy.
}
} No worries, use whatever you like. However, if you are trying to get
} the easiest, quickest startup for Asterisk, consider Asterisk at Home.
} It's an .iso that, when you boot from the CD, wipes your HDD (SO BE
} CAREFUL!!!!) and installs linux, Asterisk, AMP, etc.
}
} You won't get your hands as dirty, and maybe not learn as much right
} out of the chute, but it will be much closer to "Just works" than
} installing Asterisk alone. (And your wife is likely to appreciate
} this...)

I took a look at that, but I decided against it. I am comfortable with
Debian, and I know how to manage and secure it. In addition, I am
considering setting up Asterisk on a Mac Mini, and I believe that
Asterisk at Home is x86-only. I have downloaded AMP on its own, however, and
I'm looking into setting that up. Thanks for the help.

} Tom
--Greg
P.S. I'm on the list, so no need to CC me.