[Asterisk-Users] simple setup

Tom Rymes trymes at cascadelinksystems.com
Sat Nov 19 17:20:06 MST 2005

On Nov 19, 2005, at 2:50 PM, Gregory Seidman wrote:

> I'm trying to set up a very simple system. I have:
>
> 1) a LinkSys BEFSR41 NAT router
>
> 2) a machine (VIA EPIA running Debian GNU/Linux 3.1, a.k.a. Sarge)
> running
>    Asterisk (1.0.7, because that's what's in Debian stable and I
> don't want
>    to mess with anything beyond that until I get things working)
>
> 3) an account with BroadVoice
>
> 4) an IAXy ready to be attached to an analog phone and my LAN
>
> I need to know:
>
> 1) what ports to forward on the router to the Asterisk machine

For SIP: 5060 & 10000-20000
For IAX: 4569
(This assumes that you haven't changed the defaults in sip.conf/
iax.conf)

> 2) how to configure the IAXy (it came with no documentation)

As with almost everything Asterisk, the documentation can be found at
voip-info.org, asteriskdocs.org, google, etc. ;-)

> 3) and how to configure the IAXy extension for Asterisk

See above.

> I have already configured Asterisk according to BroadVoice's
> instructions
> for the most part, but I wasn't sure what to do about the extension
> so my
> register line reads:
>
> register => <10-digit phone number>:<10-character
> passcode>@sip.broadvoice.com

I may be wrong here, but if you leave out the extension, the calls
will be directed to the s extension in whichever context you specify
for incoming calls. Can anyone verify that?

[snip]

> P.S. Please don't tell me about how much better 1.2.x is than 1.0.x
> and how
>      I should upgrade. I'll get there, but it is not my first step. My
>      first step is is getting a working line to make my wife happy.

No worries, use whatever you like. However, if you are trying to get
the easiest, quickest startup for Asterisk, consider Asterisk at Home.
It's an .iso that, when you boot from the CD, wipes your HDD (SO BE
CAREFUL!!!!) and installs linux, Asterisk, AMP, etc.

You won't get your hands as dirty, and maybe not learn as much right
out of the chute, but it will be much closer to "Just works" than
installing Asterisk alone. (And your wife is likely to appreciate
this...)

Tom
Tom Rymes
Cascade Link Systems
www.cascadelinksystems.com
(603) 375-1414

"Intelligent technology solutions for small businesses."