[Asterisk-Users] Re: Asterisk 1.2 Released!

Piotr A. Sygula psygula at net-shapers.com
Sat Nov 19 12:23:23 MST 2005

Touchy, touchy...  Asterisk is not the only open source project out there.
Open source or not, there are simple best practices for code management.
The fact that we are fortunate enough to have a real and professional
organization such as Digium manage the project should only make the
management processes more solid.  I have to agree with Marty, releasing two
different software versions under the same tag is a bad mistake, and all
things considered, IMO leaves a negative mark on Digium (who, AFAIK claims
full responsibility and full control of Project Management).

We all appreciate the work everyone is putting into Asterisk, both Digium
and non-Digium developers.  That being said, the project could be managed
better.  I say this at the risk of offending everyone here that didn't agree
with any of the points brought up by the OpenPBX project.  All Marty did was
offer some newbie criticism - it should be accepted and considered instead
of being automatically rejected with the "if you can't do it better
yourself, shut up and put up" excuse.

Everybody here is human, and therefore privy to making mistakes.  That's
what happened with Asterisk 1.2.0.  It should be acknowledged as such and
not blown off as a natural side-effect of Open Source Development.

Appreciation and criticism are not mutually exclusive, you know.  I strongly
believe that willingness to take criticism from your userbase is a
fundamental principle of a successful Open Source project.  Look through the
archives and you will see that the list has already been fractured in the
past because of this attitude, no reason to chase off more potentially
valuable contributors.