[Asterisk-Users] Context restrictions for long distance access, examples not clear?

Kevin Hanson tuxpert at comcast.net
Fri Nov 18 23:46:00 MST 2005

Jonathan k. Creasy wrote:

>What context are your phones in? (context= in sip or iax config)
>
>If your phones are in the local-users context, they will be able to dial
>numbers found in local-users, extensions and local.
>
>If your phones are in the long-users context, they will be able to dial
>numbers in long-users, local, long-distance and extensions.
>
>Extensions in a context are handled in the order they are listed. In
>this case, I would remove the entries which are also in extensions from
>the local-users and long-users extensions.

This last statement isn't quite true.  Included contexts are "included"
in the order they are listed, but extensions in a context are *not*
handled in the order they are listed.  Asterisk sorts them and that
sorted order is how extensions are handled, *followed* by included
contexts in the order they are included (which have their extensions
sorted by Asterisk first).

Check out
http://www.voip-info.org/wiki-Asterisk+config+extensions.conf+sorting at
the bottom of the page.