[Asterisk-Users] IAX and Firewall

Robert Webb asterisk at ropeguru.com
Fri Nov 18 14:51:14 MST 2005

On Fri, 18 Nov 2005 14:20:45 -0700
  Joseph <syscon at interbaun.com> wrote:
> Do I have to have IAX2 port (udp 4569) open when
>receiving calls from a
> registered server.
> My asterisk shows that it is registered with teliax
>server but the calls
> to my asterisk are being dropped?
>
> --
> #Joseph

I don't believe so. By registering with the remote server,
you are giving them the NAT port to get back into your
server with. All communications will take place on that
port.

THe only time you would need to open up the firewall and
direct the port to your server would be if you have a user
on the outside that is registering back into your Asterisk
box.

I know someone will correct me if I am wrong, but I
believe that is the way it works. You have to forward
ports for SIP because of the way the RTP stream is setup.

Robert Webb