[Asterisk-Users] Modifications to Voicemail

BJ Weschke bweschke at gmail.com
Fri Nov 18 14:49:48 MST 2005

On 11/18/05, tmassey at obscorp.com <tmassey at obscorp.com> wrote:

> Hello!
>
> In honor of 1.2 being released, and now that I'm in the mindset to go
> spelunking into Asterisk code to address minor annoyances, I have a second
> issue:
>
> Every voicemail system I'm aware of (my Sprint cellphone voicemail, Nortel
> systems, InterTel telehpone sytsems and others that slip my mind) all use 1
> to bypass the voicemail greeting.  Asterisk's voicemail uses #.  That annoys
> me.  I want to change it.
>
> From what I've seen, there is no configuration file for Voicemail that
> allows you to override the keys that are used within it.  Is that true?  Are
> they really hard-coded with the application?  If not, how *do* you configure
> them?
>
> If that is so, I would like to start playing with that:  first changing the
> hardcoded value, and then coming up with a way of setting that within the
> configuration file. I'm no real C programmer, but it motivates me, so I'd at
> least like to figure out what it would take to do it.  Is there any
> documentation (outside the source, of course) that might guide me a bit?

 It wouldn't take alot to adjust it to do what you're looking for, but
app_voicemail overall needs alot more work than just that. There are
larger issues with it right now, namely, the locking and storage
approach. There are some tentative plans to take it to the "next
level" with the 1.4 release. Your suggestion would be one of many
improvements likely to be made.

--
Bird's The Word Technologies, Inc.
http://www.btwtech.com/