[Asterisk-Users] Modifications to Voicemail

tmassey at obscorp.com tmassey at obscorp.com
Fri Nov 18 15:27:13 MST 2005

Hello!

In honor of 1.2 being released, and now that I'm in the mindset to go
spelunking into Asterisk code to address minor annoyances, I have a second
issue:

Every voicemail system I'm aware of (my Sprint cellphone voicemail, Nortel
systems, InterTel telehpone sytsems and others that slip my mind) all use
1 to bypass the voicemail greeting.  Asterisk's voicemail uses #.  That
annoys me.  I want to change it.

>From what I've seen, there is no configuration file for Voicemail that
allows you to override the keys that are used within it.  Is that true?
Are they really hard-coded with the application?  If not, how *do* you
configure them?

If that is so, I would like to start playing with that:  first changing
the hardcoded value, and then coming up with a way of setting that within
the configuration file. I'm no real C programmer, but it motivates me, so
I'd at least like to figure out what it would take to do it.  Is there any
documentation (outside the source, of course) that might guide me a bit?

Tim Massey