[Asterisk-Users] newbie questions

Chris Shucksmith chris at shucksmith.com
Thu Nov 17 16:52:34 MST 2005

Hi fred,

For the branch office you could consider a 2 (or more) port E1/T1 card.
You can utilize one port for an incoming E1 from the telco (BT?) and
then the second port run to a T1 Channel Bank such as the Rhino 24 port
FXO http://www.myphonecall.co.uk/voip/channelbanks/rhino/default.aspx -
this is the closest to the 'hub' you describe.

You would need the cabling in your patch panel to break up the Rhino's
50-way 'telco' connector to something you can patch (rj45/rj11) or run
to your analogue phones. I don't have any recommendations for this as
I'm still looking at this for an installation.

This would give you an asterisk setup with ZAP channels 0..31 incomming
and 32..56 your extensions. You will have the advantage of reliable
faxing (ie with fax machines) with this solution instead of going to sip
phones and sip/ata/fax. I'm looking to do this in our office closer to
christmas - all mentioned hardware known to have good asterisk support.

Chris