[Asterisk-Users] Problem with call drops

Waldo Rubinstein waldo at trianet.net
Tue Nov 15 11:00:45 MST 2005

Hello guys,

I've been having a a recurring problem with people complaining about
calls being dropped.

I have 3 asterisk servers:

Gateway: running Asterisk 1.2rc2 with TE410P connected to 4 T1s of
the PSTN
Server 1: running Asterisk 1.2rc2 with ztdummy using Gateway to
access the PSTN (in/out)
Server 2: running Asterisk 1.0.9 with ztdummy using Gateway to access
the PSTN (in/out)

I have agents connected to both Server 1 and Server 2.

The problem is that every once in a while, agents complain that their
calls dropped. Sometimes it's some agents that complaint, some other
times, ALL agents complaint at the same time.

When these complaints occur, the only thing I so is:

1) Issue a show channels on all three servers to see if there are any
ongoing calls. I assume that if there are active calls, that not all
calls dropped
2) Issue dmesg in Gateway to see if any of the T1s presented an alarm
that could have dropped the calls

In either case, I don't see any errors in dmesg indicating there were
problems with the T1s and I always see active calls in all the servers.

What can I do to further troubleshoot this? If I look at the CDR, how
can I tell that a call was "abnormally" terminated? Are there any
tools out there that would allow me to check the health status of the
working system and not just the "availability" of the machines? I was
looking at nagios but I don't know if it will do what I need to do.

The other thing I could think of is that there may be a network
problem in the building. The way everything is connected is all
agents are connected to a series of unmanaged switches in the "call
center floor", which are daisy chained together and then one is
connected to the main switch with a single cable drop. The main
switch is where the Asterisk servers are connected. I figured that if
one of the switches in the call center area fails, it could drop all
calls or if there is a problem with the cable drop from the main
switch, that could also affect all agents.

Any advise will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Waldo