[Asterisk-Users] Sipura SPA-2002 Double Ring

Rich Adamson radamson at routers.com
Mon Nov 14 06:48:17 MST 2005

> >> I recently implemented a Sipura SPA-2002 with one of my Asterisk
> >> installations.  On internal calls, the SPA generates ringtone as
> >> expected. However, when I dial out via my IAX-based service
> >> provider, I hear
> >> both the telco-generated ringtone as well as the SPA-generated
> >> ringtone.  Sometimes, the SPA continues to generate the ringtone even
> >> after the call has been answered.
> >
> > I don't have a spa-2002, but do use a spa3k. I doubt very much the
> > sipura device is actually providing ringback tone, and I don't recall
> > any parameters that would enable/disable such an item. (The Admin
> > manual does not mention it either.)
> >
> > You might check your extensions.conf entry for dialing your provider
> > to see if you have an "r" in that line. If so, remove it.
>
> The SPA-2002 is definitely generating the additional ringback.  I verified
> this by temporarily changing the frequency of the ringback in the SPA's
> "Regional" settings.
>
> I also verified that I am not using the "r" option in the Dial command.  If
> I were, however, only the Asterisk-generated ringback would be heard, and
> then only until the call supervised (i.e. I would not be hearing two
> distinct ring signals, and the ringback would not occasionally persist for
> the duration of a call while still hearing the called party).
>
> This problem is present only with the SPA-2002, and none of the other SIP
> devices connected to this Asterisk server.  I have also tried making
> outbound calls via different service providers, all with the same results.

If I had this problem, I'd use ethereal to observe the sip traffic to
the box and look for a control packet containing "RING". If that is
coming from your asterisk box "after" a call in progress, then asterisk
isn't functioning properly.

If you don't see that packet, then I'd be on the horn to sipura support.
(Make sure you're running the latest firmware for the box as that will
always be their first suggestion.)