[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk realtime extensions context inclusion

snacktime snacktime at gmail.com
Mon Nov 14 00:23:54 MST 2005

On 11/13/05, Daniel Clark <clarkd2 at cs.man.ac.uk> wrote:

>  Hi
>
>  I'm using asterisk realtime to control all of my extensions. As part of
> this I need to be able to dynamically create new contexts and extensions.
> The new contexts I create will also include existing contexts. Does anybody
> know the how to specify context inclusion for asterisk realtime as the
> database only has colums for id, context, exten, priority, app and appdata.

You can't. Since those other contexts are in the database, why not just
select them and then insert them into the newly created context?

Or better yet dump realtime and generate extensions.conf from your own
database schema. You could even use the realtime schema with just a couple
of extra fields for things like include files, that way you dont' have to
throw away the work you have already done.

Asterisk doesn't handle database failures very well. Maybe it's been fixed
now, but for instance a dialplan reload used to wipe out your whole dialplan
if the database was down instead of just skipping the reload. I spent quite
a bit of time writing an application for ARA at one point, only to toss it
all out after seeing how it actually worked. I still think it's a good idea,
and I don't mean to disparage those who put all the work into it, but it's
implementation leaves something to be desired.

Chris