[Asterisk-Users] RE: Cisco DHCP and Polycom boot server

Peter Johnson lists at itchymind.com
Fri Nov 11 12:56:45 MST 2005

Hmmm, I tested this quite a bit as per below...
Sorry if this seems lame, but you are using FTP right? Because FTP is the
default, not TFTP (even though you use the DHCP TFTP option to set the FTP
server address).

Peter

Case 1 (by FTP from current bootrom and application versions):

DHCP server model:	cisco WS-C3560-24PS
DHCP server firmware:	12.1(19)EA1c
DHCP server IP address:	192.168.0.30
Phone model:		Polycom IP500
Phone firmware:		Bootrom 3.0.1.0023, Application SIP 1.5.2.0054

Phone reset to factory defaults prior to test.
(CDP is disabled by default on phone)

DHCP server settings:

	ip dhcp excluded-address 192.168.0.1 192.168.0.49
	ip dhcp excluded-address 192.168.0.56 192.168.0.255
	!
	ip dhcp pool peter
	   network 192.168.0.0 255.255.255.0
	   default-router 192.168.0.27
	   dns-server 192.168.0.4 192.168.0.5
	   domain-name testme.com
	   option 42 ip 192.168.0.4
	   option 66 ascii "ftp://user:pass@192.168.0.2"
	   lease 0 4
	!

The phone booted, obtained an ip address, created the boot file on the
ftp server, loaded its config files, set the time correctly, and
registered with the sip server.

Case 2 (by FTP from old bootrom and old application versions):

DHCP server model:	cisco WS-C3560-24PS
DHCP server firmware:	12.1(19)EA1c
DHCP server IP address:	192.168.0.30
Phone model:		Polycom IP500
Phone firmware:		Bootrom 2.5.0.0006, Application SIP 1.4.0

Phone reset to factory defaults prior to test.
(CDP is disabled by default on phone)

DHCP server settings:

	ip dhcp excluded-address 192.168.0.1 192.168.0.49
	ip dhcp excluded-address 192.168.0.56 192.168.0.255
	!
	ip dhcp pool peter
	   network 192.168.0.0 255.255.255.0
	   default-router 192.168.0.27
	   dns-server 192.168.0.4 192.168.0.5
	   domain-name testme.com
	   option 42 ip 192.168.0.4
	   option 66 ascii "192.168.0.2"
	   lease 0 4
	!

The phone booted, obtained an ip address, created the boot file on the
ftp server, loaded the new application, rebooted, loaded its config