[Asterisk-Users] TDM400P + FXO module = PSTN woes

Andrew Kohlsmith akohlsmith-asterisk at benshaw.com
Fri Nov 11 05:13:02 MST 2005

On Friday 11 November 2005 02:25, Jacques Beyers wrote:
> I have installed Asterisk 1.0.9 on FC3. I have recently installed a Digium
> TDM400P and a red Digium FXO module, which I hope to connect to the PSTN so
> I can make outbound calls. The FXO card is installed in port 1, and the
> telephone jack is inserted into port 1.
>
> No matter how I try, I cannot get Asterisk to dial out. Please could
> someone point me in the right direction.
>
> Here are a bit of information on how my system is configured:

[ very useful, concise and correct data snipped ]

Jaques, your post should be bronzed and placed at the desk of anyone
subscribed to this channel.  You've created what I consider the perfect
"help, I can't get something working" email suitable for a mailing list such
as this one.  Now I only hope that my help does indeed help you.  :-)

> pridialplan = local
> prilocaldialplan = local
> nationalprefix = 0
> internationalprefix = 00

None of that matters, as you don't have a PRI.

> exten => _0.,1,Dial(${TRUNK}/${EXTEN:1},70,T,t)

I don't think this is killing you, but the "T,t" should be "Tt" -- all flags
just get lumped together, as you did with your SIP example above.  Also, if
you want people you call to be able to transfer (very odd scenario, but
possible), then leave the 't' in there.  Most people don't allow the people
they've called to be able to use their transfer function.

> Now because ZAPTEL moans on boot-up, I have removed ZAPTEL from the startup
> services and edited my /etc/rc.d/rc.local file to load everything.

What do you mean that zaptel moans on boot-up?  What's the exact error
message?

> hisax   598301  0

I've noticed that a lot of Asterisk boards get mistakenly identified as hisax
boards by the hotplug subsystem, and is likely why zaptel is 'moaning' on
boot-up.  I would either remove the hisax driver or try to put it in your
hotplug blacklist (/etc/hotplug/blacklist) so that it does not automatically
load.

This *could* be the source of your dialout troubles.

> Now Asterisk starts up fine, and when I dial, using X-Ten Lite, Asterisk
> shows that it is dialling the ZAP/1, but the number I am dialling never
> rings.

I imagine that you are dialing 0{telephone number} then, correct?

> I am probably doing something stupid, so if anyone can shed some light, I
> will appreciate it.

Nothing stupid...  just a couple of other questions:

Do you use any wctdm kernel options?  I see that you're from South Africa, so
wctdm may need a different country identification in order to properly
interface to your telephone network?  (opermode kernel module parameter, and
also 'loadzone' in zaptel.conf.)

Does the system work correctly when people call in on the line that the FXO
module is plugged in to?

When you attempt to call out, do you hear Asterisk trying to dial if you
"listen in" on another regular phone extension connected to the same FXO
port?

Again, thank you so much for providing a *shining* example of how to write an
email to a large mailing list asking for help.  You described your problem
clearly, provided the RIGHT information concisely and were generally
all-around polite.  Thank you.

-A.