[Asterisk-Users] Cisco 7940 - TFTP

Neil Cherry ncherry at comcast.net
Wed Nov 9 17:52:42 MST 2005

Kris Edwards wrote:
> Hey all.
>  I recently got the above mentioned phone and am having trouble upgrading
> the firmware. I have the sip firmware (availabe but not loaded), but
> wouldn't mind using sccp it's just that I can't even get the config file to
> load via tftp. The phone loops requesting CTLSEP<mac>.tlv then will, for
> whatever reason start asking for the SEP<mac>.cnf.xml file even though the
> .tlv file was never sent. I can see the requests coming onto my gentoo box,
> but my machine never replies, so I'm not sure if it's an issue with my
> tftpserver or just this (used) phone. I've read several articles on the
> wiki, in particular, this one
> http://www.voip-info.org/wiki-Firmware+issues+on+7940+-+7960 , discussing
> this problem.
>  So, here are a couple of questions.
> 1) I'm using a null file for CTLSEP<mac>.tlv.. is that sufficient, or does
> the file actually need something (empty set of xml tags or something)
> 2) Is there any other way to get the files on the phone?? (even w/ tftp, can
> I put them there? I scanned the phone and the only listen port i see is 80)
>  I'm using netkit-tftp server (atftp crashes for some reason) and I've chmod
> 777 the /tftproot dir. No firewall between phone and server.
>  I'm not home at the moment, but will be shortly so if anyone is interested
> in helping (or knows of a link that might help [i think i've exhausted the
> wiki]), let me know what info you need and I will provide it.
>  This paperweight looks like it would make a cool phone for me :)

First, my tftp server is a Linux box and my tftp directory is
/tftpboot (setting can be found in /etc/xinetd.d/tftp if your using
xinetd such as Fedora is).

Next, I get requests from the 7960 (similar phone) running the
SIP image (I've tried v5, v6 and I'm now on 7.4). I get the
following files requested when the phone boots up:

CTLSEP000ABCD01234.tlv
SEP000ABCD01234.cnf.xml
SIP000ABCD01234.cnf
MGC000ABCD01234.cnf
XMLDefault.cnf.xml
SIPDefault.cnf
SIP000ABCD01234.cnf
P0S3-07-4-00.loads
P0S3-07-4-00.sb2
RINGLIST.DAT
dialplan.xml

Note that 000ABCD01234 is a made up MAC address, replace it with your
phone's MAC address. It also requests the files listed in the RINGLIST.DAT.

Take a look at:

  http://www.loligo.com/asterisk/Cisco/79xx

They have lots of info (you'll still have to do some work). Sorry I can't
give credit to the person who create all this but I'm sure they're
on this list (that's where I found this info).

Linux Home Automation         Neil Cherry       ncherry at comcast.net
http://home.comcast.net/~ncherry/               (Text only)
http://hcs.sourceforge.net/                     (HCS II)