[Asterisk-Users] ATA-488 FXO

Chris Bagnall asterisk at minotaur.cc
Tue Nov 8 17:17:38 MST 2005

> Is anyone using a Grandstream ATA-488 FXO port to connect a
> PSTN trunk to their Asterisk box (via SIP, of course)?

I tried 2 of them at a client's site here in the UK.

> Is it possible to have such a beast operate reasonably?

I was unsuccessful. The device would answer the line quite happily (and
remarkably echo-free) for a few hours, after which it would refuse to answer
more than about 50% of incoming calls on the line. A reset would fix the
unit, but every 3-4 hours was rather impractical (and shouldn't be
necessary).

> If so, is it also possible to use the FXS port concurrently
> and independently?

I didn't have any problem with the FXS port at all - this worked perfectly
and independently of the FXO port (i.e. even when the FXO port was being
tempramental, I never had any problems with the DECT phone connected to the
FXS port).

Regards,

Chris