[Asterisk-Users] What's the purpose of the "username=" line?

Olle E. Johansson oej at edvina.net
Mon Nov 7 02:28:36 MST 2005

telephony at jonjay.com wrote:
> After some experimentation and posting, I have concluded
> that in the file sip.conf, the line:
>
> username = irrelevant

Please read sip.conf.sample in your distribution for updates on
configuration parameters.

The username parameter has nothing at all to do with a username for
registrations... It should be named "defaultuser" since it is used in
combination with "defaultip" to construct an URI to user if we want to
call a peer with "host=dynamic" before registration or when registration
expired.

It is by far the most misunderstood parameter in sip.conf, but also a
hint that you should not guess, but read available documentation ;-)

/Olle