[Asterisk-Users] Moments of silence

Mojo with Horan & Company, LLC mojo at horanappraisals.com
Fri Nov 4 17:06:39 MST 2005

We run SIP phones (polycom 501s) to * and a tdm40b for PSTN out, mostly
SIP <-> PSTN calls but a few SIP <-> SIP calls.  We haven't implemented
any vlans or QoS so from time to time the network traffic and latency
get the better of our communication.  Usually this manifests as a slight
crackle, but when really bad, we get spaces of silence like you
describe.  The user connected from the PSTN channel can hear us, but we
on the SIP phones can't hear the PSTN channel.  sometimes for a second,
sometimes for 5 or so.

Have you eradicated any network latency issues you might have?  Seems
like this could be the source of the silences for us.   Also, it could
be our unmanaged switch flipping out I suppose.  It's always been pretty
low traffic on our network.

Moj

Adam Moffett wrote:
> We have also experienced momentary periods of silence in the middle of
> phone calls.
>
> I'm wondering if this could be related to the IAX peers becoming
> unreachable?
>
> Has anyone experienced moments of silence during a call, and do you know
> what the causes might be?

Mojo <mojo at horanappraisals.com>
Office Manger, Horan & Company, LLC
(907) 747-6666 x112