[Asterisk-Users] What do I need to setup Asterisk with an H323 client?

Angus Comber angus at iteloffice.com
Fri Nov 4 12:57:37 MST 2005

Hello

I want to test asterisk with an H323 client.  In Windows XP there is phone
dialer which can use H323.  In Phone dialer I set H323 Line for phone calls
and Internet calls.

In Phone and Modem properties H323 provider I set:

H.323 gatekeeper: 192.168.0.20  (asterisk on my LAN)

Log on using my phone number - 400

Gatekeeper registration state says 'Not Registered'

On the asterisk I have a h323.conf file like this:

[general]
port=1720
bindaddr=0.0.0.0

disallow=all
allow=ulaw

dtmfmode=rfc2833

context=default

[400]
type=friend
context=default
callerid="400" <400>

I have in my extensions.conf:

exten => 400,1,Dial(H323/400)
exten => 400,2,Hangup

But you guessed it, it doesn't work!

I haven't installed anything extra on my asterisk box.  Do I need to install
something?  What?

I have seen mention of oh323 and oh323.conf and h323.conf?  What do I need?
Or what should I use?

Angus