[Asterisk-Users] Sipura password not working

Rich Adamson radamson at routers.com
Wed Nov 2 19:42:26 MST 2005

> I have an Asterisk server and several Sipura 2100 ATAs.
>
> My fundamental problem is caused by the different terminologies
> used by SIP clients and servers.  Some examples are:
>

>     The parameter known as "Password" in the Sipura ATA is known
>     as "secret" in Asterisk.
>
>     The parameter between [brackets] in sip.conf is known as
>     "User ID" in the Sipura devices.
>

> My specific problem is that I can't figure out how to make the
> passwords work.  My users are currently using whatever features
> are available to a password-less phone.
>
> This is my current understanding of the translation table between
> Asterisk and Sipura terminology:
>

>         Asterisk                    Sipura
>         ========                    ======
>
>   [some extension number here]      User ID
>   username                          Auth ID
>   secret                            Password
>   callerid                          Display Name
>

> There must be something wrong in my translation table, because
> as I said before, the use of any password results in a rejected
> registration.

I don't have a 2100, but I'm assuming the spa3k works that same.

I'm simply do this in sip.conf:
 [1234]
 username=1234
 secret=mysecret

and in the spa3k do
 User ID: 1234
 Password: mysecret

So, the [1234] must match the spa3k's User ID; otherwise you get
a " - Username/auth name mismatch" on the CLI.

The secret must match the spa3k's Password; otherwise you get
a " - Wrong password" on the CLI.

The * username can be set to anything without impacting registration.

The spa3k's Display Name can be set to anything reasonable in terms of
a string. My string happens to look like "Rich & Marsha" without the
quotes. I since forgotten the max number of characters, but I'm thinking
it was something like 17.