[Asterisk-Users] Error with one of my Zapata channels

Rich Adamson radamson at routers.com
Wed Nov 2 07:44:39 MST 2005

> Ever since I started playing with Beta versions of Asterisk, I've had a
> problem.  It might just be coincidence though, since before that I didn't
> touch the Asterisk PC for a good 2 weeks and I had done alot playing around
> with config files.
>
> I have a 4 port FXS/FXO card (with 2 of each in).  I asked in this mailing
> list about an Audio pipe broken (error message from Asteirsk) and I was told
> it was usually Zapata.conf that was the problem, and I confirmed it was.
> The problem si I don't know what the exact cause is.
>
> I have my channels defined in zaptel.conf as
> fxoks=1,2
> fxsks=3,4
>
> In zapata.conf, I have: (I commented out the other 2 cards)
>
> signalling = fxo_ks
> context = test
> channel => 1
>
> signalling = fxo_ks
> context = test
> channel => 2
>
> Now, this gives me the Audio pipe broken error. BUT, If I comment out
> channel 1 out of zapata.conf, my second phone (connected to channel 2) works
> perfectly (as far as I can tell, the dialplan works).
>
> Further investigation showed that my var/log/messages had the following two
> lines in reference to those cards:
> Module 0: FAILED FXS (FCC)
> Module 1: INSTALLED -- AUTO FXS/DPO
>
> But ztcfg -vvvvvvvvvvvvv shows no error.
>
> Am I dealing with a hardware issue?  Can I fix it, or is this a defective
> card?
>
> This was seen on v-1-2-0Beta1 but I have just confirmed the same behavior on
> beta2.

I can't tell exactly what you're doing here, so I'll try to offer a
couple of suggestions that might help resolve the issue.

What is defined in /etc/zaptel.conf has to exactly match what is installed
on the TDM card. (Might have to check the color of the TDM modules on
each slot to validate what is plugged in for each module. Red modules are
fxo, green are fxs modules. Module slot #1 is the one closest to the rear
of the card and nearest the rj45/rj11 jacks.) You can't leave out any
definitions. If four modules are installed on the card, then four definitions
have to exist in /etc/zaptel.conf.

Since I don't have a clue which linux distro your using, I'll use the FC3
approach for the following.

If you modprobe zaptel and wctdm, then run ztcfg -vvv, you shoud see the
four modules like this:
Channel map:

Channel 01: FXS Kewlstart (Default) (Slaves: 01)
Channel 02: FXS Kewlstart (Default) (Slaves: 02)
Channel 03: FXS Kewlstart (Default) (Slaves: 03)
Channel 04: FXS Kewlstart (Default) (Slaves: 04)

4 channels configured.

(The above is showing four red fxo modules installed on my system.)

If you get error messages at this point, then contact digium support to
have them help with an RMA on a possible defective module.

If you get a response similar to the above, then the TDM card and its
modules are _likely_ okay.

If you have four modules installed and they are reported correctly (as
noted above) then you "have to" have matching entries for each defnition
in /etc/asterisk/zapata.conf. You can't just arbitrarily comment those
out or screw with them. If they don't match what's in /etc/zaptel.conf,
you _will_ get error messages when starting asterisk.

If there are four modules installed on the TDM card, then you will need
four entries something like this:
context=inbound-bus
signalling=fxs_ks
group=1
echocancel=yes
echotraining=800
echocancelwhenbridged=yes
rxgain=0
txgain=0
channel => 1

context=inbound-home
signalling=fxs_ks
Channel => 2

etc, etc, etc.

The above two entries are for FXO modules in slots one and two of the TDM
card. The FXS modules will need different "signalling=" statements, etc.

In the above, note that everything defined in channel 1 is inherited in
channel 2, except we changed the signalling and context. So, to make your
life easier to learn/understand, don't use this inherited approach, but
rather specify "exactly" those parameters needed for each channel.

Also remember that any changes made to zapata.conf _will_ require a
complete stop and restart of asterisk to become effective. A simple reload
will not cut it.

Once you go through the above, you should have a working system. If not,
contact digium support to resolve any bad modules, etc.

Rich