[Asterisk-Users] Re: [cisco-voip] SIP Authentication problem between Cisco router and Asterisk when calls are forwarded

John Lange john.lange at open-it.ca
Tue May 31 11:36:00 MST 2005

On Tue, 2005-05-31 at 13:38 -0400, Jared Mauch wrote:
> On Tue, May 31, 2005 at 12:30:07PM -0500, John Lange wrote:
> > I am not a Cisco person; so the question is, is it possible to have one
> > of the following:
> >
> > 1) Have the Cisco authenticate (register) as a SIP client to the
> > Asterisk server. This allows me to place the Cisco in its own context.
>
> 	Nope, see below tho..
>
> > 2) Have the Cisco override the "FROM" portion inserting its own
> > information but still passing the correct callerID information?
> >
> > 3) Some other solution that I'm not thinking of?
>
> 	perhaps something like this:
>
> [pstnlink]
> type=friend
> host=1.2.3.4
> nat=no
> qualify=3000
> context=long-distance-capable-context
> insecure=yes
> insecure=very

Thanks for that suggestion. I have tried that in the past and it does
not work. Unfortunately, Asterisk only falls back to using the IP
address for determining context if no matching username is found.

Since we always have a matching username it ignores the IP address even
though that client is already registered from another IP.

Very frustrating...

I'm starting to think the only solution would be to hack the Asterisk
source code so it prefers IP address over username when host=<an ip
address>.

However I'm very reluctant to do this unless it ends up merged into the
main code for obvious reasons.

--
John Lange
President OpenIT ltd. www.Open-IT.ca (204) 885 0872