[Asterisk-Users] UPS rating for SOHO asterisk box

Andrew Kohlsmith akohlsmith-asterisk at benshaw.com
Tue May 31 09:11:22 MST 2005

On Tuesday 31 May 2005 10:50, Daryl G. Jurbala wrote:
> Kids....do NOT try this at home.  The inverters in small UPSes are not
> designed to deal with runtimes that exceed the batteries in them.  If
> you run this setup well past the time it was designed to run (by adding
> 3, 4, or more times that battery capacity it was ever designed to have)
> that chances of a catastrophic inverter failure (meaning flash, boom,
> fire) are very real and very likely.

Not to mention that the charging circuitry on a lot of UPSes is *not* smart;
you hook up a bunch of lead-acid car batteries and the UPS may try to charge
them a lot faster than the circuitry is capable of handling...  You can get
around it with some other tricks but really -- what's your time worth, what's
the venting for the car batteries gonna cost you, what's the additional
circuitry gonna cost...  really.  Get a proper UPS for the job.

And yes, I am an electrical engineer.  Industrial power electronics, to be
exact.  :-)

-A.