[Asterisk-Users] UPS rating for SOHO asterisk box

Daryl G. Jurbala djurbala at ngmtec.com
Tue May 31 07:50:14 MST 2005

[...]
> Regarding this, I have done this hack yesterday:
>
> - Remove the battery from an existing UPS
> - Rewire the UPS onto biggest car lead acid battery (12v) you
> can find.
>
> Et voila! Bigger capacity. Put the batteries in parrallel and
> you do get monstruous UPS capacity... the only trouble with
> it is that re-charging the batteries may take some time.
[...]

Congratulations....you've just given this part-time small town fire
marshal and 14-year fire service veteran nightmares.

Kids....do NOT try this at home.  The inverters in small UPSes are not
designed to deal with runtimes that exceed the batteries in them.  If
you run this setup well past the time it was designed to run (by adding
3, 4, or more times that battery capacity it was ever designed to have)
that chances of a catastrophic inverter failure (meaning flash, boom,
fire) are very real and very likely.

Daryl